Saturday 3 March 2012

Recent Albums I've Enjoyed - March 2012

For no real reason other than it's a slow news day, I've decided to post a list of albums released this year that I've enjoyed. Quite taken to the idea so might do this every couple of months. Anyway:


Bad Liquor Pond - Blue Smoke Orange Sky
I know next to nothing about this band other than they're from Baltimore and are very good. Psychedelic-y, garage-y, very enjoyable listen. Discovered this on a a blog called Trip Inside This House which is excellent, check it out if you like this kind of music.


The Spyrals - The Spyrals
Another psychedelic rock album discovered on Trip Inside This House, although this one reminds me of The Brian Jonestown Massacre a bit too. Only 9 tracks here but the standard is very high, consistently good album.

The Bevis Frond - The Leaving of London
Yet another psych flavoured album, however this one is by a British band and was dicovered by me in the reviews section in Q magazine. The band has been around for ages and has released almost 20 albums since the mid-80s, although they had completely escaped my radar until I heard this. 18 tracks here and it's quite a long haul, however everyone should be able to find something to their taste.

Mark Lanegan Band - Blues Funeral
This is a solo album from Queens of the Stone Age man Mark Lanegan, and really the title gives a pretty good idea of what to expect. Great bluesy rock album with Lanegan's gravelly voice at the centre.

Nick Ward - Cadenza
To be honest no clue who this guy is, singer-songwriter is as far as my knowledge goes. Discovered him through The Cornershop blog and must say I really enjoyed this album, simple singer-songwriter stuff at its finest.

See also:
The Foxes - Last of Many
The Minutes - Marcata
The Law - Trigger
Tribes - Baby
The Sunshine Factory - Sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment